On the first day of Lent, Karoline Leavitt stepped to the White House podium with a clear target in mind.
Her remarks came after the Vatican declined to participate in President Donald Trump’s newly announced “Board of Peace,” an initiative he says will oversee Gaza’s reconstruction and help manage global conflicts. Rather than align itself with the effort, the Holy See indicated that international crisis response should operate through the United Nations.
That decision did not sit well with the White House.
“I think it’s deeply unfortunate. I don’t think that peace should be partisan or political or controversial,” Leavitt said.
🚨 KAROLINE LEAVITT: “PEACE SHOULD NOT BE PARTISAN.”
At today’s briefing, @PressSec responded after the Vatican declined to join the new Board of Peace initiative.
Her reaction:
“I think it’s deeply unfortunate.”
“Peace should not be partisan or political or controversial.”… pic.twitter.com/KSS3Ayb61i— LindellTV (@RealLindellTV) February 18, 2026
Stay up-to-date with the latest news!
Subscribe and start recieving our daily emails.
Leavitt was baptized Catholic and attended a Catholic college, but she married outside the church and has recently attended a non-denominational service. That contrast made her remarks even more striking on a day that is important to many Catholics.
She described the “Board of Peace” as a serious international body. More than 20 countries would attend its first official meeting in Washington. She also announced that $5 billion has been pledged for Gaza’s reconstruction and that thousands of troops would help maintain peace and security.
But there were missing details. The administration did not name which countries pledged the money. It did not explain who controls the funds beyond saying the board would vote, with Trump serving as chairman.
Trump first introduced the idea last year. He formally unveiled it alongside the World Economic Forum in Davos. Some of America’s closest allies did not attend that event.
Critics immediately raised concerns. They questioned why a sitting US president would chair an international reconstruction body. They also pointed out that no Palestinian representative has been included, even though Gaza is the focus.
The controversy grew after Trump confirmed he invited Russian President Vladimir Putin to join the initiative. That invitation came while Russia’s war in Ukraine continues. For many observers, that decision alone raised serious doubts about the board’s direction.
The Vatican’s position reflects its long standing diplomatic approach. The Holy See often works through established international systems, especially the United Nations, when dealing with war and humanitarian crises. It tends to support collective decision making rather than structures built around one political leader.
Trump, however, has made it clear that he wants to be seen as a global dealmaker. He has repeatedly described himself as someone who can end wars and bring peace. The “Board of Peace” strengthens that image. The White House has even suggested it could become the most consequential international body in history.
Featured image via Political Tribune Gallery