On the eve of early voting in the Texas Senate primary, an interview between Stephen Colbert and Texas Democrat James Talarico was pulled from CBS’ broadcast. The move immediately caused a stir, especially because Talarico is an outspoken critic of Donald Trump.
James Talarico reacted on X, writing: “This is the interview Donald Trump didn’t want you to see. His FCC refused to air my interview with Stephen Colbert. Trump is worried we’re about to flip Texas.”
This is the interview Donald Trump didn’t want you to see.
His FCC refused to air my interview with Stephen Colbert.
Trump is worried we’re about to flip Texas. pic.twitter.com/BCev5jZbKc
— James Talarico (@jamestalarico) February 17, 2026
The host, who is set to exit The Late Show with Stephen Colbert when it ends in May, told viewers exactly what happened.
Stay up-to-date with the latest news!
Subscribe and start recieving our daily emails.
“Then I was told, in some uncertain terms, that not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on,” Colbert said. “And because my network clearly doesn’t want us to talk about this, let’s talk about this.”
The interview had already been recorded. But it never aired.
According to Colbert, CBS lawyers warned that airing it could violate the FCC’s “equal time rule.” That rule requires broadcasters to give equal time to political candidates during elections. Colbert mocked the reasoning on air.
“It’s the FCC’s most time-honored rule, right after ‘no nipples at the Super Bowl,'” he joked.
Still, he pointed out that talk shows have usually been given an exception. That changed in January when Trump appointed FCC chairman Brendan Carr issued new guidance removing the blanket exception for shows that may be “motivated by purely partisan political purposes.”
Colbert fired back.
“Well sir, you’re chairman of the FCC, so FCC you,” he said. “Because I think you are motivated by partisan purposes yourself. Sir, you smelt it ’cause you dealt it.”
Then he turned his focus directly to the White House.
“Let’s just call this what it is: Donald Trump’s administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV, because all Trump does is watch TV, OK? He’s like a toddler with too much screentime. He gets cranky and then drops a load in his diaper.”
The audience roared.
Meanwhile, CBS has not publicly explained the decision.
The timing raised even more questions. Early voting in the Texas Senate primary was about to begin. Talarico is running in a competitive race against Rep. Jasmine Crockett.
Critics argue that blocking the interview limited what voters could hear right before ballots were cast.
Art Candee posted: “Donald Trump’s FCC pushed CBS to scrap the interview of Texas Democrat James Talarico with Stephen Colbert last night on the eve of early voting for the Texas Senate primary. This is the dictator playbook.”
Donald Trump’s FCC pushed CBS to scrap the interview of Texas Democrat James Talarico with Stephen Colbert last night on the eve of early voting for the Texas Senate primary.
This is the dictator playbook.pic.twitter.com/HZiUI67q8F
— Art Candee 🍿🥤 (@ArtCandee) February 17, 2026
Another user, Joe Thomas, wrote: “I’m just thinking about all those people that voted for Trump because they were worried the Democrats were against free speech. 🤔”
I’m just thinking about all those people that voted for Trump because they were worried the Democrats were against free speech. 🤔
— Joe Thomas (@joe97559604) February 17, 2026
The controversy also comes after Paramount Global, CBS’ parent company, secured approval for its $8.4 billion merger with Skydance Media. That approval required federal regulatory sign off. Notably, the merger was approved two months after The Late Show was canceled.
Featured image via YouTube screengrab