President Donald Trump has removed the Secret Service protection of former Vice President Kamala Harris, his election opponent in 2024, CNN reported, citing an adviser to the former vice president.
“You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris,” the order by Trump said, per CNN.
“The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” Harris said in a statement.
BREAKING from me – yesterday, Trump personally canceled the Secret Service protection Harris had extended via a previously undisclosed executive action Biden signed.
The change comes as Harris prepares to head out on tour for her book about the campaign.https://t.co/YgvXDOvzaX
— Edward-Isaac Dovere (@IsaacDovere) August 29, 2025
Stay up-to-date with the latest news!
Subscribe and start recieving our daily emails.
“The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses,” Bob Salladay, a spokesman for California Gov. Gavin Newsom, told CNN.
Former vice presidents usually only get protection for six months after leaving office, but former President Biden signed a memorandum before leaving office to extend Harris’ protection for eighteen months. That Biden order had not been disclosed until now.
The decision came before the upcoming launch of Harris’s book about the campaign, “107 Days,” and a planned tour of 18 cities, which will run from September to November. This will likely cause her to need to spend more money on security than would have been the case before.
Vice president Kamala Harris is so high in demand that she had to add three new events to her book tour… Eat shit 💩 @jaketapper pic.twitter.com/t6O8CQhsG3
— 2RawTooReal (@2RawTooReal) August 26, 2025
“Harris, according to people familiar with her security operations, faced particular security concerns given that she was the first woman and first Black woman in the role,” CNN reported. “Those concerns only increased after she became the nominee, the people familiar with her security operations told CNN, and was still at a high level into January following the campaign, with feelings about the election still raw.”
“But what will now disappear is not just the agents assigned to guard her in person, 24-7: Secret Service protection includes constant analysis of threat intelligence and covering in-person situations, emails, texts and social media. With her detail canceled, Harris aides are worried they will lose the same access to threat warnings, the people familiar with her security operations said.”
Photo courtesy of the Political Tribune media library.