BREAKING: Suspects Identified In San Diego Mosque Shooting

Two teenagers and a shattered community


551
551 points

A deadly shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday ended with three victims dead, two teenage suspects dead and investigators searching for answers inside a case that had already shown warning signs hours earlier.

By Monday afternoon, authorities had identified the suspects and were examining possible anti-Islamic writings found inside the vehicle where the teenagers were discovered dead.

Two senior law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation and a federal law enforcement official identified the suspects as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18.

Investigators are now examining writings found inside the vehicle that may point toward anti-Islamic motives. So far, no official motive has been confirmed.

The timeline leading up to the shooting is already raising painful questions. At 9:42 a.m., the mother of one of the suspects called police to report her son missing and suicidal. She told officers several weapons were missing from the home, her vehicle was gone and she had discovered a note whose contents police still have not released.

Officers were stationed around Madison High School, where one of the suspects was enrolled. Less than two hours later, gunfire erupted at the Islamic Center several miles away. By the time police arrived, the violence was already underway.

Authorities said both suspects were dressed in camouflage, something police later noted was “not consistent with someone who is suicidal.” They opened fire outside the Islamic Center, killing three men, including a security guard who police say likely prevented an even larger massacre.

“His actions were heroic and he undoubtedly saved lives today,” Police Chief Scott Wahl said.

The violence stretched beyond the mosque itself.

Police said the suspects also fired at a landscaper working nearby, though he was not injured. Shortly afterward, both suspects were discovered dead inside a vehicle in the middle of the 3800 block of Hatton Street, several blocks from the mosque.

Investigators believe the gunshot wounds were self inflicted.

As news of the attack spread, political leaders across the country began weighing in.

Trump addressed the shooting briefly during a White House healthcare event. “They’re giving a briefing on it, at the mosque… and it’s a terrible situation,” he said. “I’ve been given some early updates, but we’re going to be going back and looking at it very strongly.”

California Governor Gavin Newsom delivered a more emotional response. “Jennifer and I are horrified by today’s violent attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego, where families and children gather, and neighbors worship in peace and fellowship,” he said. “Today, this community space was shattered by gunfire. Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives.”

Featured image via X screengrab 


Terry Lawson

Terry is an editor and political writer based in Alabama. Over the last five years, he’s worked behind the scenes as a ghostwriter for a range of companies, helping shape voices and tell stories that connect. Now at Political Tribune, he writes sharp political pieces and edits with a close eye on clarity and tone. Terry’s work is driven by strong storytelling, attention to detail, and a clear sense of purpose. He’s skilled in writing, editing, and project management — and always focused on getting the message right. You can find him on X at https://x.com/TerryNotTrump.

Comments